HBO Max and Hulu are two popular streaming platforms that offer a variety of television shows, movies, and other content for subscribers to enjoy. With a wide range of options available on each platform, it can be challenging to determine which one is the best fit for your viewing preferences and needs. In HBO Max vs Hulu comparison, we will take a closer look at the features and benefits of both HBO Max and Hulu, to help you make an informed decision about which platform to choose.
We will explore factors such as pricing, available content, user interface, and streaming quality to help you assess the strengths and weaknesses of each platform. Whether you’re a fan of classic movies or the latest TV shows, this comparison will provide valuable insights into the world of streaming entertainment.
HBO Max VS Hulu: A Detailed Comparison
HBO Max and Hulu are quite similar to each other in terms of streaming and other things. However, there are various factors where they both differ. In the following sections, we’ll make a detailed comparison of HBO Max vs Hulu to help you choose the right streaming service for your needs. We’ll compare the 2 services based on various parameters.
Interestingly, HBO Max and Hulu both provide ad-supported and ad-free subscription options. It’s a recent trend in streaming as more people become aware of why the TV industry depends on them so heavily. That’s because they’re highly profitable. But Hulu’s ad-supported package is a little less expensive than HBO Max’s. The first one costs $6.99 per month, while the second one costs $12.99 per month. Even though the difference is small, it nevertheless exists.
Both HBO Max and Hulu charge roughly the same amount per month for their ad-free plans: $14.99. The monthly fee is the same as that of Amazon Prime Video and is far less than the $19.99 monthly fee for Netflix’s Premium plan. Remember that streaming gets more expensive as you add more networks and channels. Fortunately, Hulu offers a discount package that HBO Max does not. For a combined total of $13.99 a month, you can add ESPN+ in addition to Disney+ with Hulu.
2. Number of Titles
There is also an enormous selection of titles available on each streaming service.
- Hulu has a big library of about 4,000 titles and is primarily owned by the Walt Disney Company and NBCUniversal. Recent television episodes, which originally gave Hulu its fame, account for a large portion of this total. Due to Disney’s ownership of 20th Century Fox and Hulu’s production of original films, the service also has over thousand movies. Nevertheless, there is a lot to enjoy for fans of TV and movies.
- HBO Max’s collection is unquestionably superior to Hulu’s, despite the provider’s significant service cuts over the previous year. The HBO Max library is far larger and more diverse than Hulu’s, with content from HBO to Warner Bros., and Turner Classic Movies to DC Entertainment. Moreover, the HBO Max streaming library will significantly expand to combine HBO Max and Discovery+ in the first half of 2023.
- The HBO Max library wins when compared to the Hulu library.
Every successful streaming service needs a hook, which frequently takes the form of exclusive content and services that are available only through that service.
- This is shown by HBO Max in the form of premium streaming content like The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Friends, and different HBO Max originals. The drawback is that HBO Max originals are still being dropped by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to save money.
- Hulu, on the other side, offers just as many exclusives. They not only have original movies like Prey and Hellraiser and unique TV shows like The Handmaid’s Tale and Only Murders in the Building, but they also have live television, which HBO Max does not offer. Subscribers to Hulu + Live TV receive unique access to more than 85 live television stations that broadcast via their Hulu account. With the help of this unique feature, Hulu can compete with other streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and TV providers like Philo and Sling TV.
4. Content and User Experience
Here’s how the content and user experience of both services compare:
1. HBO Max
- HBO has a lot more content and produces higher-quality shows when compared to Hulu. Even though it might not offer as much choice as Netflix, it is a close second. It offers a selection of both recent and classic movies and TV shows, with more of a focus on quality than quantity. Although Hulu’s show quality has significantly improved, it still lags HBO Max in this regard.
- Finding content is simple with HBO Max’s amazing user interface. New releases, trending shows, and featured content are all easily accessible from the home screen. Also, you have the option of searching for specific titles or browsing by genre. The option to save content for offline viewing and continue watching across multiple devices are just two of the unique features that HBO Max offers. Also, one profile can stream content simultaneously on 3 different devices.
- Although Hulu’s content selection is not as extensive as HBO Max’s, it still has a nice range of both classic and contemporary films and TV shows. It also contains a tonne of exclusive content that isn’t available on other streaming platforms because of the add-ons. Quick access to featured content, Hulu Originals, new releases, and trending shows is provided on the home screen. Also, you have the option of searching for specific titles or browsing by genre. The user interface is less intuitive, which is a drawback, and if you try to search for episodes starring a specific actor, be ready to receive some irrelevant search suggestions.
- Hulu also provides offline viewing, and it is more than HBO Max. You can also record live TV with the Cloud DVR option so that you can watch it later. Moreover, Watch Party lets you host a party of up to eight people for a movie night and group discussion. The only restriction is that each participant needs to be a Hulu subscriber.
5. Compatible Devices
Here’s a comparison of the compatible devices with Hulu and HBO Max:
1. HBO Max
Any compatible device can be used to watch HBO Max. HBO Max is available for download on the web, Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire tablets, iPhones, iPad, and iPod Touch.
Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Cox Contour 2 and Contour Stream Player, LG Smart TV, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Roku, Samsung TV, Spectrum WorldBox, VIZIO Smart TV, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, XClass TV, Xfinity X1, and Xfinity Flex.
Chromecast, AirPlay, and HDMI cables can also be used to stream content to your TV if you don’t have any compatible TVs.
Hulu is also available on various devices. The list includes Xbox One, Vizio Smartcast TV, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, and 4, as well as iPhones, iPads, Android smartphones and tablets, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Android TV, LG TV, Samsung TV, Fire tablets, and the Xfinity Flex and X1 set-top boxes.
6. Video Quality
Here’s how Hulu and HBO Max compare in terms of video quality:
1. HBO Max
The ad-free subscription is the only one that offers 4K HDR streaming. Also, you need a Dolby Atmos-compatible sound system, high-speed internet, and one of the supported 4K HDR streaming devices to stream content in 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos audio.
Nevertheless, only a few movies are available in 4K Ultra HDR, Dolby Vision, and HDR 10. The Little Things, Godzilla vs. Kong, Reminiscence, 8-bit Christmas, In the Heights, and a few other movies are among them.
You can stream content from Hulu in a variety of high-definition video formats, including 720p, 1080p, 4K Ultra HD, and 60 frames per second. You must remember, though, that quality will automatically change according to your available bandwidth, ensuring that you are constantly streaming at the highest possible quality.
- Watching Hulu’s Streaming Library: Streaming content from the Hulu streaming library is available in Standard Definition (1.5Mbps), High Definition 720 (3Mbps), High Definition 1080p (6Mbps), and 4K Ultra HD (16Mbps).
- Watching Live TV: Streaming your favorite live TV shows and Cloud DVR recordings in up to 720/60 frames per second or 1080p/60 frames per second on supported devices is possible if you have a Live TV subscription.
- Hulu With 4K Ultra HD: Hulu’s library of 4K Ultra HD-compatible content is constantly expanding and primarily made up of Hulu Originals. To stream 4K Ultra HD content, though, you’ll need a suitable device.
- Hulu with HDR: On a few select devices, including Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cube devices, Apple TV 4K, Roku, Vizio, and Chromecast Ultra, you can stream a selection of Hulu Originals in HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision.
So, is HBO Max superior to Hulu or the other way around? Both HBO Max and Hulu offer a variety of original shows, on-demand TV episodes and movies, family-friendly content, and other things. HBO Max is surpassed by Hulu, nevertheless, because of its Live TV streaming possibilities and add-ons. Both HBO Max and Hulu offer a variety of content but differ in pricing, available content, and user interface. HBO Max provides premium content at a higher price, while Hulu offers a more affordable option with a wide range of television shows and live TV. The decision between HBO Max vs Hulu will depend on individual preferences and needs.